This article demonstrates creating/adding a record to a table in Airtable.
What you'll need:
Skill level: Intermediate
Time required: 7 minutes
- Scheduler by Quickwork as a trigger--for triggering the journey
- Airtable: Create record Action
- Pre-created app. In Airtable, an app is regarded as a base
- A table in a base
- At least one completely filled record in a table
- Accurate copy-paste skills
In the article, we'll test creating a record in the Product Planning app of the Airtable account:
Create a table, Demo_Table, in the Product Planning app and fill some values in the record:
Note: The data type of the column headers in the Airtable account will get reflected automatically in the Quickwork while creating a record. For example, if the datatype of the Name field is a string, then Quickwork will accept string values for this field at the time of creating a record. If a value of non-supportive datatype is specified, an error will occur.
Configuring the trigger
- In the Event section, click on the New Trigger button and then choose the Scheduler by Quickwork app from the drop-down menu in the Apps list.
- Select the trigger event, New scheduled event, from the drop-down menu in the Trigger Event field.
- Set the Interval for One hour. Set the date and time of your choice in the Start at field and keep the Custom payload field empty:
Configuring Airtable action
- Under the Steps section, click on the Simple Action button and choose the Airtable app from the drop-down menu in the Apps list.
- Select the Create record action from the drop-down menu in the Actions list.
- Click the Link an account button to establish a new connection with the Airtable account. You can also connect an existing account if you have one.
- Upon successful establishment of the connection, the input fields will open.
- In the App ID field, you need to specify the ID of the app containing the table(s). As mentioned earlier, our app is Product Planning. To get the ID, visit https://airtable.com/api and click Product Planning:
- Then, have a closer look at the app URL in the web browser. It would look like the following screenshot:
- In the above URL, appA4jMsruk8iXTbv is your app ID. Specify this in your App ID field of Create record action:
Note: The API link https://airtable.com/api, is common for all the apps created in the Airtable account. Clicking this link followed by the app you are using will give you the app ID.
- In the Table name field, specify the name of the table in which you want to create a record. E.g., Demo_Table. Ensure that you have specified the same table name while establishing the connection. If the table names are different, you won't get the column headers of your table in Quickwork:
- The next input field is Sample record ID. To get this record ID, go to your table in the Airtable account and right-click on any one of the previously created records:
- Click the Copy record URL option. Now, return to the Quickwork and paste the copied URL in the Sample record ID field. If the record URL is https://airtable.com/tblgjElmaQDSxZv5H/viwT0RmAeXWLAFxBo/reci1R0QggGYv1rzu, then reci1R0QggGYv1rzu is your sample record ID:
- As soon as you specify the sample record ID, the column headers of Demo_Table will open up in the Fields data block.
- Now, specify the values that you want to insert in these fields:
Executing the journey
Save the changes in a journey and click the Save & Start button. You'll be taken to the History tab automatically. As soon as the journey gets executed, you’ll see a record displaying the journey ID with a green tick mark emphasizing the successful execution. You can click on the record to view the input-output details of the execution:
To cross-check, go to your Demo_Table in your Airtable account:
You'll see that a record has been added to the table successfully.