This article demonstrates the functioning of Charts by Quickwork to create a customized pie chart.
What you'll need:
Skill level: Easy
Time required: 10 minutes
- Scheduler by Quickwork: Trigger
- Charts by Quickwork: Action
- Sensible data analysis
What is Charts by Quickwork
Charts by Quickwork lets you create two-dimensional varieties of charts such as line, stacked, pie, and bar. This app takes custom inputs from the user in the form of a key-value pair comprising each element of a chart. Then this data is processed by Quickwork through backend computation. Upon successful execution, a web URL is obtained as an output which is basically in the .png format containing a 2D image of the chart. This chart can be easily downloaded and shared with the users effectively whenever required.
Let's see an example of a pie chart to understand the functioning of Charts by Quickwork:
Configuring the trigger:
- In the New Trigger section, choose the Scheduler by Quickwork app from the drop-down menu in the Apps field.
- Select the trigger event, New scheduled event, from the drop-down menu in the Triggers field.
- Set the Interval for One day as we need to trigger this journey only once per day.
- Set the date and time of your choice in the Start At field and keep the Custom Payload field empty:
Note: A trigger is configured just to initiate the process. You can use other triggering apps as per your business requirement.
Configuring the Charts by Quickwork-Create pie chart action
- Under the Steps section, click on the Simple Action button and choose the Charts by Quickwork app from the drop-down menu present in the Apps field.
- Select the action, Create pie chart, from the drop-down menu in the Actions field.
- No authorization or connection is required for this app.
- Now, you'll get a list of input fields to be filled. In the Title field, specify the title for your pie chart. E.g., Nationwide Budget Investment.
- In the Data object, you need to specify each pie and its value. You can add as many pies as you want by simply clicking the Add New Item button. For example, enter Agriculture as Pie Name and 30 as its Value:
Note: A pie chart has a value of 100 units. So divide and provide values accordingly to the pies such that their total value is 100.
- Add the data given in the table below in key-value pairs of pies and their values respectively for other pies of the chart:
Pie Name Value Agriculture 30 IT 20 Medical 15 Education 15 Defense 20
- The Scale field helps multiply the size of the output with the given value to improve the resolution. For E.g., setting a value of 2 on a 600px chart will result in 1200 px output. The default value for this field is 1 which has no effect on the default or the custom height and width specified. To scale up or scale down according to your requirement, you can mention the value here.
- Specify a custom width for your pie chart image as per your requirement. E.g., 500.
- Similarly, specify a custom height for your pie chart image as per your choice and screen resolution. E.g., 300.
- To override the default colors, you can provide a comma-separated color code list in the Color field.
- No need to specify any value in the Data Labels Format field as the values of the pies are by default considered in percentage.
- Provide a name for the pie chart image file in the File Name field. E.g., nationwide-budget-investment. The name must be without space and special characters as this will get rendered as a part of the image URL:
Executing the journey
Save the changes in the journey and click the Save & Start button. You'll be taken to the History tab. Click the record that just got created, and then click on the Charts by Quickwork action bar in the Steps section. In the Input block, you can see the inputs provided for the pie chart whereas, in the Output block, you can see the URL of the generated pie-chart image:
Copy and paste the URL in your web browser’s address bar and hit ENTER. Your customized pie chart will be in front of you: